20 April 2010

Japan: Tokyo

Tokyo, I love you.


We went to Japan for a little over two weeks back in March, for my 30th birthday, where we met my brother Etienne from Montreal, whom I hadn't seen in a long time!! I've been wanting to visit Japan for a long time, and I’m sooo happy I've had the chance to go, I was all I could've imagined...and more. I want to go back already.
I wanna move there.

Equipped with my lonely planet and my Japanese vocabulary that consists of knowing Dori=street, Koen=park, and recognizing the squiggle for the exit sign, I was convinced that we would be in a perpetual state of being lost and confused. Surprisingly enough, traveling in Japan, and even Tokyo, is almost easy, everything just pretty much works and everyone is really friendly. But I owe most of this not getting lost too much in Tokyo to my Iphone, and the maps in it that let me know where I was with the push of a button, just like magic. Despite the colossal size of Tokyo, in area and people, the city and public transport does make sense, it is so clean, orderly and on schedule.

We spent a week in Tokyo, which is not nearly enough even to scratch the surface, this city has so much to offer, it's insane! And we were amazed by pretty much everything. We had accommodation in Asakusa, and we tried to take in as much as we could, by visiting various shrines and temples, many neighborhoods, the Ghibli Museum, and by eating lots and lots and lots of delicious foods (so many delicious treats, I wonder how so few overweight Japanese there are).

 

I could write on and on about this absolutely amazing city, about the futuristic toilets, the amazing shops and out of this world customer service, the vending machines for pretty much anything imaginable, the trains, people, and the hidden treasures, but I will let the pictures speak for themselves.





Laputa robot at Ghibli museum





Japan Photos - check out the photo gallery

No comments:

Post a Comment