30 January 2008

Survival Guide

It's hard to believe that I've disappeared off the face of North America over four months ago, time just flew by. All has been good so far and Australia has been mostly good to us.

There are not as many deadly animals wandering around as I thought there would be, and there are (sadly) no kangaroos or koalas hanging out around the city, or in my backyard. I used to think that people spoke funny, now I actually understand what they are saying, but they still have a peculiar way of pronouncing some words, but they outnumber me, so I'm now the one with the accent.

Canada and Australia are pretty similar on many points, but some things are just different, or odd, but I probably got used to a lot of those things by now that they seem ‘normal’.

Spaghetti sur des toasts, c’est un repas ici. Les Rice Krispies sont des Bubble Rice, les Raisan Bran sont des Sultana Bran, le Cotton Candy c'est du Fairy Floss, Burger King c'est Hungry Jack, Dunking Donuts c'est Doughnut King, et j'en oublie... You probably thought: Fosters Australian for Beer.... Fosters is thought to be THE Australian beer everywhere, but not in Australia. I have rarely seen Fosters here, it's not quite popular. I was fooled. They have plenty other good Aussie beers though.

So outside of our travel escapades, I do work on a non-regular basis. I have applied to many places, had quite a few interviews with companies that would've been quite awesome to work at, but you find out quickly that a working holiday visa is not so well looked upon. They've been giving out many of those visas in recent years, and some employers probably ran into problems of dealing with unreliable people (so i've been told) and a new requirement for many "career" jobs is to be an Australian resident. Some said that the visa I have is too temporary for them to invest time in me, and the possibility of me leaving in a short notice,  is also a big gamble; it sucks, but it makes sense. I still apply to jobs I see myself working at for kicks; I can take the rejection now and maybe someone will be foolish enough to hire me. But the fact that I got interviews and that they considered working with me is a good thing anyways, and there is hope if I get a real visa and stay here eventually. I could really live here in Melbourne, it’s a lovable city.

Melbourne

No comments:

Post a Comment